Getting older is both wonderful and challenging. More years behind you means more experience, perspective and wisdom — but it also means dealing with changes in your once-youthful skin. Along with fine lines, wrinkles and age spots, sagging skin is a common sign of aging. But have you ever wondered why skin gets loose and droopy? (And what you can do about it?)
As we age, skin loses its firmness and elasticity. Several factors collide to make this happen:
- Collagen and elastin, your skin’s supportive connective tissue, makes skin look soft and plump. But as we age both decrease in production.
- Muscle tissue starts breaking down and weakening with age.
- Gravity also plays a role. It continually pulls skin down, making it droop a little bit more every year.
Sagging skin can also be attributed to tobacco use, sun damage, genetics or rapid weight loss. While you can’t completely control sagging skin, there are ways to fight it:
- Commit to a healthy diet that feeds your skin as well as your body.
- Protect exposed skin every day, regardless of the weather outside.
- Consider our treatments designed for sagging skin: Ultherapy® and ENDYMED™.
Ultherapy® and ENDYMED™ are non-surgical treatments that are enjoying immense popularity in the cosmetic dermatology world. Would you like to find out how these treatments can lift droopy skin and take a few years (or ten) off your face and neck? Give our office a call to set up a consultation with Dr. Zimmet. Our number is (512) 485-7700.