Did you know our very own Dr. Zimmet was recently featured on the wildly popular website SheKnows.com? The award-winning online magazine caters to all-things-woman regarding health, beauty, parenting, relationships and more. Dr. Z was asked by the beauty editors to share “Secrets to More Youthful Skin”, and he delivered!
Don’t have time to read the full article? Check out our recap below:
We all know that as our skin ages, the supple, smooth quality it had when we were children seems to diminish. Here are some tips to slow down that process:
- Protect Yourself from the Sun – One of the best ways to retain collagen is to protect skin from harmful UV rays. Sun exposure accounts for about 80% of your skin’s signs of aging, so apply sunscreen, wear wide-brimmed hats and protective clothing.
- Stay Away from Tanning Beds – You might not get a sunburn, but your skin is still deeply damaged by the UVA rays. The tan is not worth the havoc wreaked on your skin.
- Eat well – Choosing antioxidant-rich foods like fruits and vegetables can significantly boost your skin’s ability to retain and create new collagen.
- Quit Smoking – No surprise here: according to Dr. Zimmet, smoking “contributes to collagen degradation.” Resolve to stop smoking asap.
- Apply a Topical Antioxidant – Find creams or serums containing antioxidant ingredients like vitamins C or E to reduce the damage caused by the sun’s rays.
- Use Retinoids – Restore needed collagen with retinoids. “There is probably more evidence that these are effective at reducing signs of aging than any other ‘anti-aging’ cream,” says Dr. Z.
- Consider Botox® – Help preserve the collagen you already have with this popular and effective injectable.
- Get Ultherapy® – Tap into the power of sound with ultherapy, which uses high intensity ultrasound to boost new collagen production. It’s sometimes referred to as the “non-surgical facelift.”
- Look into Radiofrequency – Another non-surgical treatment for more youthful skin, radiofrequency tightens collagen proteins and stimulates new collagen formation.
- Try Fractional Laser Resurfacing – This laser treatment not only tightens skin and boosts collagen production, but reduces acne scars, fine lines and discoloration.