Find the Solution to Your Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are visible, enlarged, bulging veins that affect the legs. Varicose veins differ from spider veins in that they are larger and deeper. Varicose veins commonly cause significant symptoms such as pain, heaviness or fatigue or the leg, itching, swelling, cramps and restless leg syndrome. When advanced, varicose veins can cause eczema, skin inflammation and venous ulcers, which are non-healing sores of the lower leg.
No singular cause has been determined for varicose veins, but several factors can increase the chance of developing them:
- Being female
- Standing occupation
- Leg injury
- SCLEROTHERAPY is the injection of medication into a vein, which causes the vein to shrink. A treatment takes about 20 minutes.
- FOAM SCLEROTHERAPY is the injection of a foamed sclerosant to treat varicose veins.
- ULTRASOUND-GUIDED SCLEROTHERAPY is the injection of medication into a vein that is below the skin, and thus not visible without the aid of an ultrasound machine. This treatment is done under local anesthesia and takes about 10 minutes.
- AMBULATORY PHLEBECTOMY is a method of removing varicose veins using tiny punctures in the skin which problem veins are extracted. Suturing is unnecessary and usually there is no visible scar. Most procedures take about an hour.
- ENDOVENOUS LASER TREATMENT delivers pulses of laser light directly inside the vein, which causes the vein to collapse and seal shut. It is remarkably effective. The procedure is done in our office under local anesthesia.
- COMPRESSION STOCKINGS apply graduated pressure to the leg from the ankle up. This helps the blood return to the heart, which reduces congestion in the leg veins.
Varicose veins are often associated with a dysfunctional vein below the skin that may be feeding into and causing the surface varicose vein. Because of this, we always perform a duplex ultrasound evaluation before treatment of varicose veins. Using the ultrasound, along with your medical history and physical examination, we develop a treatment plan tailored to your particular condition.
I have been receiving vein treatment from Dr. Steven Zimmet for the past thirteen years . During this period , Dr. Zimmet has tremendously reduced my bulging varicose veins & the excruciating pain that went along with them. Dr. Zimmet & his professional staff welcome you with complete understanding & complete compassion before , during , & after each visit. I cannot express enough what a wonderful doctor this person is , & his demeanor shows the up-most professionalism.
If you would like to discuss which varicose vein treatments are right for you, call us today at (512) 402-6694 to set up your consultation with Dr. Zimmet