Are You Struggling with Rosacea?
Rosacea is a common chronic skin disease of the face which may appear in the form of redness, flushing, broken capillaries or acne-type eruptions. Other manifestations include rhinophyma which is characterized by enlargement of the nose (uncommon) and eye irritation that can result in significant complications if left untreated. At Zimmet Vein & Dermatology, we have years of assessing and creating comprehensive treatment programs to manage Rosacea.
The underlying cause or causes of rosacea are not known. Whatever the root cause, Rosacea is characterized by flushing, redness and visible blood vessels. Rosacea is most common among fair-skinned women aged 30-50. Men, when affected, usually suffer more severe cases. Some evidence suggests that rosacea can be inherited.
In addition to topical treatments and oral medications, Dr. Zimmet uses these treatments for Rosacea:
• PULSED LIGHT REJUVENATION with ADVANCED FOTOFACIAL – employs VariLite laser in combination with pulsed light to reduce redness, flushing, facial veins and breakouts.
• GENTLEWAVES – a non-thermal process which uses gentle LEDs emitting less energy than a 25-watt light bulb to improve the appearance of aging and sun-damaged skin without skin tissue injury or patient discomfort.
Here are some helpful tips for managing your Rosacea:
- Take all prescription medications for their full course and as directed by your dermatologist. Remember: Some medications may take a month or more before results are visible.
- Schedule a skin consultation with an aesthetician for guidance on proper products, topical antioxidants and appropriate sunblocks.
- Use a mild, gentle cleanser in the mornings and evenings. Avoid cleansers with fragrances, dyes and perfumes.
- Avoid harsh scrubs, toners and astringents.
- Use a gentle moisturizer followed immediately by a “physical” sunblock, which is one that contains zinc, titanium dioxide or iron oxides.
- Use a mineral makeup to reduce inflammation and cover redness. Mineral makeup should be applied to hydrated skin for the best coverage.
Contact us today for a full assessment and comprehensive treatment program.