Besides skin disorders, there’s many other health issues and habits that can affect your skin and how it looks. Daily care of skin is always important, but even with these bad habits and health complications, skin may still take a beating. Your skin is your largest organ and requires a great amount of care- if you experience sudden skin issues or prolonged upsets, see a doctor. Some habits and health concerns that affect your skin include:
- Lack of Sleep: Getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night is essential to keeping away dark circles, puffy eyes, and pale skin. How you sleep can affect your skin too. Sleeping in the same position for years almost ensures you’ll get wrinkles.
- Stress: Being under stress causes your body to produce cortisol, a hormone that causes blood sugar levels to rise. This causes wrinkles, acne and facial dryness to occur. Stress can also make existing skin conditions, like eczema, worse. Try to relax: setting time aside for yourself every day to just breath and reflect can do your psyche and your skin a world of good.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy causes a lot of changes in a woman’s body, and her skin is no exception. Stretch marks can occur in most women and, though they should fade after delivery, some are stubborn and seem impossible to get rid of. Moisturizers, vitamin A creams and laser therapy all work to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Acne is also common in pregnant women as their hormones are in excess. To avoid breakouts as much as possible, stick to a regimen of washing your face everyday and using oil-free moisturizer.
- Intestinal Issues: When there’s problems with your intestines, skin problems can usually be a tell-tale sign. If you’re suffering from acne, it may be because you consume a lot of dairy and milk products and your intestines aren’t digesting it properly.
- Liver Disease: If your liver isn’t breaking down toxins effectively, they can be eliminated from your body in other ways, such as through your skin. As excessive toxins build up deep under the skin, issues like dermatitis, eczema, rashes, premature aging, hives, rosacea, and psoriasis can occur.
If you’re experiencing skin issues and feel it may be related to your health, inform your doctor as soon as possible. At Zimmer Vein & Dermatology, we have the tools to restore your skin back to its natural beauty. Contact us today to make an appointment.