Congratulations on your decision to pursue treatment for those troublesome varicose veins! You are one step closer to getting smooth, even-toned legs again. Along with the procedure itself, you’re probably wondering what to expect immediately following the procedure so you can plan accordingly.
At Zimmet Vein & Dermatology, Dr. Zimmet typically treats large, bulging varicose veins with a combination of both ambulatory phlebectomy and endovenous laser treatment. (You can learn more about each procedure on their respective pages.)
Our varicose vein treatments are minimally invasive and therefore recovery is relatively short and simple. Some patients experience light bruising and discomfort for a few days after the procedure, but this is managed through compression stockings and oral pain medication.
Here are a few guidelines you can expect to follow after you complete your treatment:
- Wear a bandage over the treated area for about three days following the procedure.
- Wear a compression stocking over treated leg(s) for a week after the procedure.
- Take walks every day for the first week or two (if this is not already part of your daily routine). Note that frequent walking is more important than walking long distances.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity for a week.
- Avoid long travel by car or by plane for about a month following the procedure.
Varicose vein treatments have come a long way in the past twenty years. Those who suffer from bulging veins now have treatment options available to them that are highly effective and minimally painful. Contact our Austin office today to learn more.