When legs are affected by a vein condition such as edema, phlebitis, or thrombosis, painful side effects can occur. Pressure, swelling, aching, leg heaviness, and fatigue are all common side effects of these vein issues- but there’s a way to prevent and alleviate these symptoms. Compression stockings use pressure to guard against further progression of vein disorders. These stockings are much tighter than traditional tights, starting very tightly at the ankle and slowly becoming looser towards the thighs.
Compression stockings work by putting great amounts of pressure on the legs, constricting blood flow. The blood is forced through narrower circulatory channels, increasing arterial pressure, letting more blood return to the heart and less to gather at the feet. The best candidates for compression stockings are those looking to alleviate or prevent vein problems. Common vein disorders that compression stockings are helpful for include:
- Edema: This is when blood pools in the feet due to poor circulation.
- Varicose Veins: These veins occur due to vein weakness and can cause inflammatory veins and a great deal of pain.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: This occurs when blood flow decreases, causing blood to pool in the legs and forming a blood clot.
- Lymphedema: When a body part swells due to over-accumulation of lymph fluid, lymphedema occurs.
- Phlebitis: When infection, trauma or inflammation occurs, veins can clot and become inflamed, Phlebitis occurs.
- Pregnancy: Leg veins can be greatly affected during pregnancy- hormones released during pregnancy puts pressure on the Vena Cava, the major vein returning blood flow to the heart.
If you’re affected by any of these issues and are looking to solve your discomfort, Zimmet Vein & Dermatology can help. We have many options of compression stockings and vein treatments to help restore your leg health. Contact us today to get started.