Both young and older adults can have issues with bad acne, excessively oily skin and acne scars. For most, it is a minor annoyance that comes and goes, but for some it’s a much more life-altering problem. While there are many treatments for acne available, there are also quite a few natural remedies you can try at home that may work better than store-bought medications. We’ve put together a list of our five favorite ways to calm your skin and prevent breakouts.
1) Use Honey. Honey contains many natural antibacterial properties and is a great mask to put all over your face in the mornings. It’s gentle on sensitive skin, and removes excess oil while leaving your skin soft.
2) Treat From The Inside, Out. Make sure you’re putting good things into your body, and you’ll see a difference on the outside. Drink plenty of water and eat foods rich in vitamins — especially carrots for vitamin A (beta carotene), it strengthens the skin’s tissue and prevents acne. Also think about taking a multivitamin — clogging pores and excessive oily skin can be an act of rebellion for your body not receiving the right nutrients. Getting enough sleep also helps your body restore its natural balance.
3) Invest in Oils. Most people who develop acne already have oily skin, so applying oils directly to your face may seem counterproductive. However, oils such as tea tree oil, olive oil or jojoba, can actually eliminate excess oils on your face. Your skin needs oils to protect it, and oil will cancel out oil, so trust in the fact that covering your face in good oils won’t make it worse — it will actually improve the look and feel of your skin. Try using a oil mask and rinsing it off at night before bed.
4) Make a Homemade Toner. Toners help balance the pH of our skin. For those affected by acne, this is especially important. Using apple cider vinegar or rubbing alcohol as a toner can calm acne and clean out pores.
5) Keep Your Face Clean. The most effective way to keep your skin clear and allow it to find its natural balance is by keeping it clean. Avoid wearing makeup if possible and wash your face morning and night. Try washing your pillowcase every day as well, since skin tends to sweat and create an oily layer while we sleep. Make sure to wipe or wash your face after excessive sweating, otherwise this can cause clogged pores, which leads to more acne.
By following these steps, you can take the first plunge into solving your acne problems from home. If you’ve dealt with stubborn acne and are in need of medical advice or have lasting acne scars, Zimmet Vein & Dermatology offers acne scar treatment and Blu-U light therapy to improve the look and feel of your skin. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.